Friday, September 9

Job Security?

There are days when I wish I worked for the government. I've been a writer for 30 years. Since you don't become rich as a writer, I have also worked at a variety of jobs over the last three decades. Although I've learned new techniques and routines on-the-job, I always knew the basics before I started. Apparently, when you work for the government, knowing the basics is not as important as knowing the boss.

The appointed head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Michael Brown, not only a lied on his resume, but had limited experience working with emergency management agencies in general. The good news was that he knew President George Bush. The bad news for Americans was that he knew President George Bush. So "Brownie," as George Bush calls him, was appointed head of the first response agency at a time of national disaster.

Everything would've been fine if the mother of all natural disasters hadn't hit the United States of America. Now Brownie had work to do. The only problem was that he had no idea how to do it and people died.

Michael Brown was fired as a result of his ineptitude. Excuse me, I was thinking of what would happen in a regular company. In the company called the United States government, he was called back to Washington where he will sit behind his desk and push papers while he continues to collect his paycheck.

So it seems you I will continue to pay Michael Brown his fraudulently gained paycheck until public pressure forces his good buddy the President to replace him with someone who might be able to save lives when the next natural or man-made disaster occurs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.